Our Approach to Sustainability
Enabling the communities in which we operate is central to our approach in building a sustainable business. By virtue of our position amongst poor underdeveloped communities, we recognise that we have a responsibility to show leadership. The company pursues best practice in the areas of environmental performance, employee safety and development as well as community engagement.
Investment in Economic Development
The company’s operations contribute directly and indirectly to the economic growth and social development of the countries in which it operate. Since 2007, the company has made positive contributions to the development of Liberia through:
- Significant investment in exploration and its support services engendering local supply linkages
- Provision of education, training and employment
- Enhanced fiscal receipts in the form of taxes and foreign exchange injections in the economy
- Promotion of the country as safe and highly conducive exploration and mining destinations
- Extensive exploration programs, which increase the geological data base for the country leading to more efficient and targeted exploration
- Working collaboratively with local and national institutions, assisting in capacity building and advancement of the exploration and mining industry
- Investment in infrastructure including schools, water and roads.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate social responsibility (“CSR”) is an integral part of the company’s business strategy. Operations are run in an environmentally responsible manner to ensure the benefits of the company’s activities are shared across all stakeholder groups.
The company’s social investment programs are typically related to the stage of project development and evolve as the project develops. Cavalla’s investment in community projects is predicated on the basis that initiatives must be community-driven, relevant, sustainable and self-empowering, ensuring that the benefits of the investment continue beyond the life of operations in that particular community. To date Cavalla’s community projects have centred on infrastructure, education and health.
Cavalla’s Environmental Management Approach
Cavalla is committed to conducting its operations in a manner that minimises its environmental impact whilst adhering to the relevant laws and regulations.
To achieve the above, the Company:
- Assesses the environmental impacts of its activities prior to commencing work and ensures systems are in place to reduce its impact on the environment and efficiently use local resources
- Communicates its environment policy to all employees and external stakeholders ensuring that obligations to the environment are understood.
- Works with local community leaders to identify areas of cultural sensitivity and local importance
- Rehabilitates areas affected by its operations and provides appropriate information and supervision necessary to meet environmental commitments and responsibilities.
Community engagement is critical to building a sustainable resource company. It is through community engagement that Cavalla develops an understanding of community needs, addresses concerns, manages expectations and involves community members in developing sustainable solutions.
Meetings with communities occur prior to the commencement of any exploration activity to seek permission and to gain support. Community projects embarked on by Cavalla are undertaken in a consultative and collaborative manner with the community to engender local ownership.
Community Project Focus
Cavalla’s investment in community projects is predicated on the basis that initiatives must be relevant, sustainable and self-empowering, ensuring that the benefits of the investment continue beyond the life of operations in that particular community. Community contribution and participation in the company’s social investment decisions are critical, and in many cases projects are prioritised by the communities themselves.
Cavalla’s projects have to date focused on local initiatives most closely associated with the areas of operations. We have to date invested mainly in education, health and infrastructure.